City Public Works crews are continuing to work hard to restore normal City operations after Tuesday’s storm. A Public Works crew was established Tuesday night as first responders to assist Fire/Medical and Police ensure the safety of the community. In the aftermath of the storm, widespread power outages occurred with downed power lines and crews have been responding to calls to section off those areas in addition to mark utility lines in order to safely allow repairs. Crews continue to work throughout the City to clear the roadways of debris to allow normal traffic flow and emergency services response. Additionally, Public Works is clearing blocked storm water infrastructure in preparation for a continuation of spring rains that have also impacted normal operations. As roadways are cleared, crews continue cleanup of City maintained properties such as public facilities, parks, cemetery, and public utility locations.
For home yard debris, there are several options for residents listed below. In addition to these options, the City does allow residents to obtain burn permits online or at City Hall (which has been relocated to 200 E. 3rd Street).
Instructions for Debris removal:
Curbside Trash Pickup:
- Limbs should not exceed 4 feet in length or 4 inches in diameter.
- Limbs must be bundled and tied with bundles being no larger than 50 pounds or 18 inches in diameter, whichever is less.
- Individual tree limbs for set out for trash pickup should not exceed 4 inches in diameter.
- Set out bundles on your regular trash day at your curb.
Wyandotte Yard Waste Facility (3241 Park Drive, Kansas City, Kansas):
- Limbs should not exceed 4 feet in length or 12 inches in diameter.
- Wyandotte County residents will need to show proof of residency, such as a drivers’ license. Commercially generated material will generally not be accepted.
- Hours of acceptance are Thursday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Johnson County Landfill disposal:
- Limbs must not exceed 3 inches in diameter or 4 feet in length.
- Property owner must provide proof of residency upon arrival at the landfill; no commercial acceptance.
- Acceptance is limited to one load per week, of no more than 3 cubic yards of material.
- Hours of acceptance are be Monday thru Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., and Saturday 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
If you have questions regarding yard waste, contact 913-422-1020.