The Public Works Department is dedicated to providing quality services to citizens of Bonner Springs and to other departments within the city. There are nine full-time employees assigned to this department including one full- time cemetery sexton.
The Public Works Department is responsible for daily maintenance for 140 lane miles of city streets. The department responsibilities include:
- Maintenance and installation of street signs
- Maintenance of asphalt and concrete streets
- Maintenance of city buildings
- Maintenance of city owned storm water drainage systems
- Maintenance of city parking lots
- Maintenance of city traffic signals
- Mowing of city right of ways controlled by the city
- Pavement markings
- Sweeping of city streets
During the winter the department is responsible for snow and ice removal. There are six trucks equipped with snow plows and salt / sand spreaders. If deemed necessary, crews will operate the equipment 24 hours a day.
The city cemetery is maintained by the public works department, which employs a full time sexton. He is responsible for maintaining approximately 16 acres of cemetery grounds with more than 5,000 headstones in this area.